Merle and Theresa Haggard Celebrate 16! – read more!

88 Comments
  • Richard Allen | Sep 21, 2009 at 4:45 am

G’day Merle and Theresa,
    Greetings and congratulations from the Kimberley area in Outback Northwest Australia. I am flying to California next week to catch your concert on 1st October at the Arlington in Santa Barbara. I have a music shop in Derby, 200km north of Broome, and we play and sell lots of Merle Haggard music. Our customers are mainly Aboriginal people, and I thought you might like to know that you have a very strong and loyal fanbase in this remote area of Australia, one of the strongholds of country music in this country. They especially love “Sing me back home”. If you care to give out a hello at the concert to all the ringers, jackaroos, jillaroos and cowboys from the Kimberley in Oz, I would be happy to let them know when I get home. Looking forward very much to the concert
    Kindest regards to you both

• Coty Artrip | Sep 20, 2009 at 12:31 pm

Howdy Merle and Theresa, Thank you folks for bringing so much happiness and enjoyment to millions of listeners throughout the world. Merle, you are Hank Williams, Ernest Tubb, Lefty Frizzell, Marty Robbins, Johnny Cash, Bob Wills and Jimmie Rodgers all rolled into one unique package. I started buying your records about 45 years ago, and unless I’ve lost count, I have them all. And my friend, if it comes to the day that you decide to
    ” Kick out the Footlights” for good, then for me and music, the “Good times are really over for good”

HAPPY SIXTEEN FOR TWO ”’ TRULY WONDERFUL” AMERICANS

• Denise Haywood | Sep 20, 2009 at 9:07 am

Totally enjoyed your concert at Bartlesville, Ok on 9/19/09. I’ve never seen a better show anywhere. Keepin it COUNTRY, my friend. Thanks and God Bless you and your family.

• CAROLYN THOMAS | Sep 19, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Hi. Merle and Therese, Hope you have many more years together, We so you and Therese in Hiawasie, Ga. You were GREAT as always I’ve seen you in Atlanta, Ga. Athens, Ga. and Gainesville, Ga. I hope you will be in the area again. And also in Cumming, Ga. You’re wife is very pretty. And many more years .

• JACK CLEAVER | Sep 19, 2009 at 12:31 am

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 16th YEAR. BEEN A FAN OF YOURS FOR MANY YEARS AND WILL CONTINUE TO BE A FAN FOR MANY MORE TO COME. I AM A CLASS MATE AND GOOD FRIEND OF “BIFF’S”. SURE WISH YOU WOULD BRING YOURSELF AND THE STRANGERS TO THE PHILADELPHIA AREA. TAKE GOOD CARE OF EACH OTHER… AGAIN, BEST WISHES AND CONGRATULATIONS ON 16 YEARS.

• Laura Cobb | Sep 18, 2009 at 11:08 pm

May you have many more years together. Merle I’m so glad you’re doing o.k. after your surgery. Nothing like the power of prayers.
    Theresa just keep on taking good care of Hag and you’ll will be around for ever.
    Merle LOVE your music listen to it all the time on Rhapodsy.com. Yes I pay to listen to your music because I love it so much. So many songs brings back memories of my childhood. Also born in Oklahoma, so I know what the cotton fields are like. Been there and done that too many times.
    Well Merle I’m older than you are. I’m 80 now going on 50 lol
    Take care of each other.
    Laura in Sacramento,Ca.

• Bill Wright | Sep 18, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I wish you two the very best and many more years. I used to be the house piano player at Texas Barrel House in Bakersfield 1975. I really enjoyed working with Norm, Biff, Mark, Roy, Don when you were off the road during the summer. I was the one Tex fired and then rehired because I wouldn’t shave off my beard.

• VIRGIL ESSEX | Sep 18, 2009 at 3:37 pm

Merle, I wish you & I could turn back the time and be on The Kern River recording like we both did together back in 1969 just before you recorded Okie From Muskoee at Capitol Records in Hollywood. I was there getting my picture taken with you for a flier to have your’s and mine picture on it so you could introducer me to all the DJ’s when you were out on the road to play my Country Heart Record I recorded with you and The Strangers in your studio. Roy Nichols,Norm Hamlet,Jerry Ward, Eddie Burris & George French were all playing on my record. It was heavy !!!! Was good to see you again in Evansville last March the 6th,2009. Will be seeing you again in Wabash at The Honeywell Center September 23rd. My steel guitar man Steve Drake from Bloomington,Indiana wants to meet you and Norm. Dennis Adkins whom you met back in 1973 that you took to Nashville that wrote the song “Ace In The Hole” that George Srait recorded still lives out on Hwy#46 at Bloomington.We all wish you and Thresea both many,many more yrs together Ole Buddie. By the way lets not talk music but talk about our health like we did back in March when I told you I had a lobe taken off my right lung like you did smoking them stud’s (CAMEL’S) FOR 60 YRS.I’m 78 now Merle and still playing music.See you back again real soon. God Bless the Haggard family out there on the busy highways and keep them safe and out of Harm’s Way’s!!!!

• cindy rogers | Sep 18, 2009 at 3:04 pm

YOU TWO SEEM SO IN LOVE, I HAVE BEEN TO SEVERAL CONCERTS AND WATCHED THE WAY MERLE LOOKS AT THERESA. IT IS TRULY LOVE. THE CONCERT IN METROPOLIS, IL. WAS THE BEST EVER. MERLE HAD SO MUCH SPUNK. LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING HIM IN TUNICA NEXT TIME WHERE I TALKED TO HIM BY HIS BUS WHEN HE HAD LUNG CANCER. BEST OF GOOD HEALTH!!!!!

• James Steger | Sep 18, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I want to wish Merle and Theresa a belated Happy Anniversary!!!!

• bob murphy | Sep 18, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I HAD A HERO NAMED HANK WILLIAMS, AND I DIDN’T THINK IT COULD GET ANY BETTER. THEN MERLE HAGGARD CAME ALONG.
    WRITING AND SINGING, NONE BETTER THAN MERLE.
    THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT MUSIC
    BOB MURPHY

• Bob and Linda Fuller | Sep 18, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Happy Anniversary! If it isn’t Merle Bob does not listen to the artist! It is Merle Haggard or no one at all! You are the greatest Hag! Looking forward to the concert in Bartlesville Ok at the Osage casino!!!!

• wolfey | Sep 18, 2009 at 12:50 pm

all the best to mr & mrs hagg..a very long time fan of the hagg from queensland australia..merle,when you coming back to australia and do some more concerts,been a long time…wolfey

• Keith Johnson | Sep 18, 2009 at 11:59 am

Happy Anniversary. We are looking forward to seeing you Monday in Branson. I still would like to be your keyboard player. I’ll never forget the studio sessions I played for you. If youever need me let me know…….Keith

• Lois Every | Sep 18, 2009 at 11:52 am

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. I came from NY to Billy Mize’s birthday party at The Crystal Palace in April and the concert you and your band gave for him was just fabulous! I’m originally from Calloway Drive in Bakersfield and clearly remember Cousin Herb’s Tradin Post and all the early “Bakersfield Sound” music. Merle Haggard your voice gets better, deeper and so honest, as you get older. Dont ever retire!! Love your music! Continued happiness to you and your bride Theresa. Lois

• Al & Pat Lang (Sleepy Eye, Mn) | Sep 18, 2009 at 9:56 am

Wishing you both the very best !! Many more glorious years to gather . Have many wonderful and glorious GOD filled lives together.
    Thank you for all the wonderful and timeless songs. I have been enjoying and performing your music to help keep it out there and alive since 1968… Sincerely, Al “The Muleskinner” Lang

• Jaime Francisco | Sep 17, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Merle & Teresa,

Wishing you the very best !! Many more glorious years to gather . Have a wonderful and glorious lives.
    Thanks for all the wonderful and timeless music you have created for us and our children and grandchildren to enjoy…

Have a blessed life.

Best wishes
    Jaime

• Nan Drake | Sep 17, 2009 at 8:59 am

Hi
    Love your music and have attended many many concerts. We will see you at the Arlington and at Primm.
    Congrats
    We miss Bonnie and we are going to try to make your concerts at Buck’s–we miss him too!!
    We treasure your signed book that you signed in Ventura.
    Nan Drake & Jim Harrison

• Don & Sue Lummus | Sep 16, 2009 at 11:32 am

Congratulations especially to Theresa! Any woman who can put up with a picker for any length of time past a couple of years, deserves some kind of speclal award! And Merle.. you gotta be careful admitting to a long-term relationship being a Gittar Picker.. you know how folks are.. they might start considering you to be “normal”! Seriously.. we’ve just celebrated our 40th year of being together, and so far, it hasn’t ruined our chances of gettin’ gigs.. so y”all keep goin’! And of course, it goes without saying.. Merle.. you’ve always been the best at what you do.. here’s hoping you get to continue doin’ it for a long time more! As frustrated songwriters.. you are a serious inspiration to which we look up to. Of course.. that has to include Freddy also!
    Don & Sue Lummus (Don & Sue, The Texas Two)
    Henderson, Texas

• Dennis | Sep 16, 2009 at 10:37 am

Congrats Merle and Theresa on 16 years! Loved your show in Wisconsin Dells and thanks for the autograph Hag!

• Mary Morris | Sep 16, 2009 at 9:38 am

Merle and Theresa, congratulations on your 16th wedding anniversary! Theresa, I have not had the pleasure of hearing your music; but I am a very sincere (and long time) fan of yours, Merle, and have been since I first heard Branded Man in the 60′s. I told my husband that you would be a great star. Little did I know at the time how great you would be.

With your unbelieveable writing, guitar and fiddle playing abilities – not to even mention your absolutely wonderful one-of-a-kind voice, you are such a joy to listen to. I am just blown away by the wonderful lyrics you have managed to put together on so many songs. What a talented star you are. Words just can’t express you how much I enjoy your music. What a wonderful gift you give us all with each and every one of your songs – something to treasure forever.

My husband passed away after 24 years of marriage, but your songs bring back memories of the times we shared listening to your music. You are just an unbelievably talented person and in my eyes there will never be anyone who could even half way match up to you – not even Left Frezzell, whose music I loved as well.

I am so happy you have Theresa in your life. Theresa, you seem to be such a very special person and so good for Merle. May God bless you both for many years to come.

• Corey | Sep 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

Congradulations, I hope you celebrate many more Anniversarys together

• Ina | Sep 16, 2009 at 3:21 am

I wish you both 16 more years of wedding bliss!

• Tabor Eaton | Sep 15, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations Theresa and Merle you both always look so happy together, I really hope you have many more. when I was a youngster I lived in Santa Maria CA my mom worked in a barroom called the black eye, this was around 1972 during the summer months I would go to work with her every day. She would give me hand fulls of quarters to play the juke box I would play your songs over and over they seemed to be real and easy to relate to. There are so many people that you don’t know,yet it seems they know you from knowing your music, I remember the song grandma harp and how it reminded me of my grandma,man there are so many,thanks for all the memories and good luck in everything you do.Good heath to you and your family,God Bless.
    Manchester NH
    p.s. Glad your merchandise store is finally open.

• stuart challis | Sep 15, 2009 at 10:15 am

Congratulations Theresa and Merle and may you have many more years together, I just love your music
    God bless you both,
    Stuart in the UK

• Josh Williams | Sep 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Happy Anniversyary!

• Sonny Langley | Sep 14, 2009 at 3:12 pm

God Bless you both, Happy anniversary, Theresa, you look Beautiful, Merle you look Rediculous, lol…….I’ve been recording today, At Leroy’s Studio, Reminds me a little of my Boxing Days, I hads 200 fights i lost them all, but the Crowd like me……..ole’ Pal……….Sonny

• Kyle | Sep 14, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Merle’s music has meant so much to me over the years. I remember listening to “Silver Wings” when I was about 7 or 8 after I was supposed to have gone to bed in my little hometown of Brewton Al.. I had a portable AM radio , and I hid it under my blankets. The song came on WSM in Nashville. I heard my mother coming down the hall and I was afraid she would hear the radio, but I would not turn it down as long as Hag was singing. He was my favorite.

When I went to law school a slick looking fellow I had met from Florida and I were talking and he asked what music I liked, I said “Well,your not goig to believe it but my favorite is Merle Haggard, ” He looked at me and smiled and stared to sing , ” They were so much in love with life…..” Well we both sang “Its all in the Movies” to the top of our lungs to the bemusement of the Duran Duran fans at the party. He practices in Birmingham now and I live in North Carolina, but on the rare occasion that we speak we always try to stump each other with a Hag lyric that we think theother will not know.

I’m 50 now and a day doesn’t go by that I don’t think of a Haggard song. I was raised by people who understand every word of “Mama’s Hungry Eyes”. I try to channel that song when I explain to my daughters about how hard life can be ,but that the essential values remain, no matter how tough circumstances are.

I had to smile when Hag toured with Bob Dylan and my sophisticated friends , knowing what a big Hag fan I was, said they had no idea how important his music was.

Well I’ve talked enough. I love you Hag. My best to you and Theresa. You have been a blessing in my life.

• HELEN LONGINO | Sep 14, 2009 at 12:48 pm

TIMELESS!!!! I LOVE YOU GUYS DEARLY…HERE’S WISHING YOU A MILLION MORE DEEEEELICIOUS YEARS TOGETHER!!!
    OKIEFAN…DETROIT, MICHIGAN
    MY MYSPACE PAGE IS DEDICATED TO THE HAG!..http://www.myspace.com/okiefan

• shelly streeter | Sep 14, 2009 at 11:13 am

Congrats Theresa and Merle/
    I was able to open the show for Merle several times up at Konkti Harbour Inn which I heard is closing. I am so grateful to have had that opportunity. You, Theresa, Bonnie Owens and myself!! /wow, you guys are the best. Love ya from Modesto, CA

shelly streeter
    shellystreeter@gmail.com

• scott wikle | Sep 13, 2009 at 10:03 am

My very best wishes for a Happy Anniversary ! Look forward to seeing you both again soon.

Scott

• Sharon Novotney | Sep 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

Congratulations Theresa and Merle
    From a Canadian Fan

• Roger Tripp | Sep 12, 2009 at 7:41 am

Merle & Theresa,

May God continue to shine down his love you have for each other. I must say, though I’ve never met Theresa, I believe she has been good for Merle.
    It seems as though Merle now has a great home life & that is a good thing. A person can have a house, but not a home, I know, for I’ve been there in my life.
    Theresa, I want to complement you on not being afraid to ask for prayer for people on this website. In this political world, it’s now almost a crime so to speak if a person even mentions God in the public arena. This isn’t the America I grew up in.

Sincerely,

Roger Tripp

• Akl Ferguson | Sep 11, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Looks as if you both picked a winner. Best of luck. I am a collector and I am looking for Mamas Prayer Can you help?

• Lonnie Schmidt | Sep 11, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Congratulations on your 16th- Hope you have 50 more-Teresa you have been good for Merle. Merle you ar the greatest your songs have been a great inspiration to me from the first show I seen of yours in Los angeles in 1966. I have been to your shows from coast to coast and even Tunica Ms, We are going to catch you in Branson or Ok in the very near future Lonnie – Irene – Cody Schmidt

• JR | Sep 11, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Hang in there Hag! lookin good buddy

• emilio vaquero | Sep 11, 2009 at 9:15 am

I love Merle congratulations from Spain

• janet madison | Sep 11, 2009 at 8:42 am

CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST WISHES TO YOU BOTH.WISHING MANY MANY MORE AYEARS
    GOD HAS SURELY BLESSED YOU BOTH A WONDERFUL RELATIONSHIP.CANT WAIT
    TO SEE YOU BOTH IN BARTELSVILLE.YOU BOTH RE THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE.WILL
    ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU BOTH IN MY PRAYERS FOR MANY MORE WONDERFUL
    HAPPY YEARS OF LIVING LIFE AND LOVE AND SENDING YOU MILLIONS OF
    BLESSINGS .LOVE AND PRAYERS ALWAYS JANET MADISON MENA,ARKANSAS

• Linda Monts | Sep 11, 2009 at 8:42 am

Merle & Theresa,

Happy Anniversary on your 16th!! My, how time flies when you’re having fun! I have been a fan a long time and really really enjoy all the concerts that I get to see. Also, Theresa, you do a great job with him…. just need to sing more with Merle. I especially loved “Jackson” that the two of you did together. Hope you have a wonderful day and many, many years to come for celebration..

• Taru Elkama | Sep 11, 2009 at 7:53 am

Congratulations.I hope you many more!

• RUSSELL SNOW | Sep 11, 2009 at 6:48 am

CONGRATULATIONS MERLE AND THERESA.I WILL BE CELEBRATING MY BIRTHDAY WITH YOU NEXT WEEK AT THE CONCERT IN CLINTON,OK.I CANT WAIT TO HERE YOU AGAIN MERLE .
    RUSSELL SNOW

• HELEN & DAN TOTH | Sep 11, 2009 at 5:18 am

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO TWO OF OUR BEST FRIENDS..MAY YOU HAVE MANY MANY MORE . WE LOVE YOU GUYS.

• Lois Willingham | Sep 10, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Hello Theresa and Merle,
    CONGRATULATIONS
    Glad you made it this far.!! Marriage is a beautiful institution, I wish you many more happy years of wedded bliss.
    I lost my husband almost 2 years ago of lung cancer after near 33 years of a really good marriage. Wish for another renunion like the one in Bakersfield when we visited with Buck, you all, Lowell and Dwight. We visted you that afternoon before the show. Better yet come visit our amphitheater here in Eufaula, Ok. Would love to see you again. God Bless you each and everyone.
    Lois Willingham

• EILEEN | Sep 10, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Dear Merle and Theresa,

Congratulations on your anniversary! I wish you all the best now and always, and hope you have many many more happy years together.

• MC & Bj | Sep 10, 2009 at 7:54 pm

Congradulations to both of you guys for the 16 years. Hope you have many more years.
    Merle is a true country singer, our favorite kind of singer .
    I’m proud to be one of your freinds. hope to see you soon.

LOVE YOU GUYS, MC & BJ

• Michael Hogan | Sep 10, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Congrats to you Merle and Theresa and may you have many more years of joy together . Merle has been bringing me joy for many years now and when I met him he was a pure gentleman. Totally unassuming.A true legend

• Leroy Sanders | Sep 10, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Congratulations, on you 16 anniversary, and Good luck on your up coming tour, hope you keep feelin good Merle and enjoy yourself on the Tour, Your Friend…….Best Wishes…..Leroy

• PAT WALLEY | Sep 10, 2009 at 3:17 pm

LOVE MERLE HAGGARD AND HIS MUSIC HAVE BEEN A FAN FOR MANY YEARS HAVE SEEN HIM IN CONCERTS AND LOVED EVERONE OF THEM. KEEP THE COUNTRY MUSIC COMING . WE LOVE THE OLD COUNTRY MUSIC. YOU SOUNDED GOOD TODAY WHEN YOU WERE TALKING TO BILL MACK.. PAT WALLEY

• Dorothy Newbury | Sep 10, 2009 at 1:26 pm

rs of happiness. Merle’s music has certainly brought joy to our family.
    Dorothy Newbury

• Dave Downing | Sep 10, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Congratulations and I hope you have at least fifty more. ;-)
    I’ve been a “died in the wool” Hag fan since the sixties when
    I was a teenager and first heard him sing. I’ve enjoyed many
    concerts, the latest in Myrtle of this year. I hope and pray God
    will give him the strength to carry on for many more years.