• Tracy | Sep 22, 2011 at 10:52 am

I have been a fan of yours since 1977. I was 7 years old and my parents took me to a concert of yours in Portland, OR. Marty Robbins opened for you ( he was my favorite till that night ). He came on it a yellow Nudie jumpsuit and played to the crowd like no other, then you came on, I fell in love. I have seen you since then on several occasions but tomorrow the 23rd will be the first time in Portland again. It is my year anniversary for being sober and my husband got tickets to see you for my congratulations gift. You have been with me through the drinking times and now the sober times…. I LOVE YOU Merle Ronald Haggard. You are my hero……

• Judith TeMaat | Sep 21, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I listened to your tribute to Elvis every night while my Husband was in the hospital
    recovering from a stroke–it got me through s0000 much. Thank you forever.
    I have been a fan for years and it still relaxes me to hear your soothing voice with
    so much “heart”.

• Sherry Thomas Persinger | Sep 21, 2011 at 12:08 am

I have always been a “HUGE” fan of country music, mostly the old stuff. Merle, Willie, Waylon, Hank, Conway, Charlie, Freddy…OH, I could go on and on. I was looking at the concert list and was saddened there are no dates in the midwest. Perhaps soon we could see him in Iowa at the State Fair. Best one in the country!! I seen him in Ames some years back, took me straight to my child hood. Thank you and God Bless the country that allows us to be free

• Bev Romano | Sep 20, 2011 at 1:43 am

I just think your music is just heavenly. I myself grew up in a great home, but found myself in a life of turmoil. I never got to hear your music often, but listening now brings me back to my days of living life in the fast lane, and myself rebellious as you once were. I just love country music, new country really isn’t my thing sadly to say, But true country will stay #1 in my heart. I am checking your tour dates… How come none in Massachusetts. In Lowell or boston. Where i work in the health field, i just cant get away to see you. I am getting married on October 8th, at the Atkinson country Club in Atkinson NH. Please do a surprise visit, and sing me a song called Sing me back home. Love to have you there. Bev

• Brenda | Sep 19, 2011 at 9:47 am

I have been a fan sence 1970 your music has only gotten better over the years. i guess my favorte song wood be mama tried or twinkle trinkle little star . Thanks for all the really great music you have given us.

• Helen l. Holmes | Sep 19, 2011 at 9:24 am

LOVE YOU..LOVE YOU..LOVE YOU..HERE’S HOPING YOU FEEL BETTER AND BETTER AS THE DAYS GO BY..A SPECIAL THANKS TO YOU THERESA FOR LOVING THIS MAN AND TAKING CARE OF OUR HERO!….YOU FRIEND FOR LIFE…HELEN from Detroit!

• Lance | Sep 18, 2011 at 9:24 am

Hey Merle, How about a show and a little fishing up here in Alaska. Never seen you up here,and I think you have alot of fans up here. So how about it, come on up and play the best music there is in the best state in the union!

• mike hampton | Sep 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Hi Merle once again. I forgot to mention in my last message i have been a fan of yours since 1972 and have loved your music ever since. I can’t pick out a favourite song as they are all great. May i send my fondest regards to you and Teresa. May you have many happy years together just like my wife Gwen and i have. We recently celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary.Please come to England one more time. All us Hag fans want to see you.

• mike hampton | Sep 17, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Hi Merle , Congats on your latest award at the space centre. No one deserves it more than you. Don’t here much about you as i live in the U.K. But i like to hear as much news as i can. Hope all of your health problems are behind you.I met you once in Southampton ,Hants when you did a concert at the Mayflower theatre and it was a great night.Long life , good health and happiness to you and your family always.Please come to the U.K. one more time and show us what Country Music is all about.

• Rena | Sep 17, 2011 at 11:46 am

Merle, I have been a fan as far back as the 60′s. You sometimes sing about “Old Flames Can’t hold a Candle to You.” Well, old singers can’t hold a candle to you–Jimmie, Bob Wills, Ole ‘Hank-none are even close. NEW ones either-George Strait, Toby Keith, Clint Black-while great in their own right can’t measure up to The Hag. Just think–you not only do your own thing but can, at will, sound exactly like ANY of them! Your talent can’t be measured. I’m glad to be living in your era when Country is presented by the truth of a living legend. God Bless.

• Geo | Sep 17, 2011 at 6:57 am

I have a version of “don’t you ever get tired” by MH on a cassette tape from the 70′s, which I can’t find anywhere on the internet. All I find is the slower version, but this one is slightly quicker tempo and just brilliant. I recorded it from ‘Bill Black’s Radio show” here in Scotland UK. Does anyone know which album it might have come from and where I can get a better copy than I presently have? Geo.

• Robin Wijland | Sep 16, 2011 at 1:15 am

Dear Merle,

Bringing you warm regards from the Netherlands.
    Letting you know you have fans all over the world. Living the American Dream as much as possible overseas here in the Netherlands, listening American Country music, driving American cars. I love your music, as along with many other great American country singers. As a dutch guy of “only” 26 years old, I understand the meaning of true music, and not the B.S. they make these days. Will listen to your great music until the day I die, wheter it’s sitting at home, drivin’ my Lincoln, or whatever occasion it may be.
    God bless you, and America!

Robin Wijland
    Houten, Netherlands

• rose bellen | Sep 15, 2011 at 9:19 pm

On my bucket list—meeting Merle in person some day—have loved the man and his music almost all my life. What an amazing soul God created with Merle! Prayers for him, his dear wife and their family. Love you, Merle–always have, always will.

• tavis loveall | Sep 15, 2011 at 4:40 pm

i have always been a merle fan. i seen him once in ft. smith arkansas and it was the best day of my life.

• Taylor Lightfoot | Sep 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I cant say Ive been a lifelong fan, but I happened to come upon one of your songs on the internet recently, “Thats the Way Love Goes”. And I’m absolutely hooked. I’ve grown up around country music but nothing compares to this. I’ve found pure gold. My favorites already are “Hungry Eyes” and “In My Next Life”. All the songs I’ve listened too are some of the most amazing country songs I’ve heard. You’ve got a fan for life. Thank you for being true to the country way of life and helping us all with your music, stories and the role they play in our lives.

Sincerely,
    Taylor Lightfoot

• jackie patterson | Sep 14, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Hi Merle & Teresa : I really would like to see another concert soon, last time was at Metropolis, Ill.,I live really close to Skullbone ,Tn. , you had a show scheduled there at the music park previously but became ill & had to cancel. I am a huge fan & wait in anticipation of your next closest show

• Peter | Sep 13, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Hi Merle, Greetings from Australia…….Long Live The Hag!!!! I’ve Just recently purchased your Signature Model Tuff Dog Tele…. Been a musician for well over 30 years as soon as I plugged the guitar in it became my favorite!!!….. Hopefully we’ll get to see you In Concert “down under” sometime soon……

Take care and regards to your family….. and keep on Pickin’

• Pat Carter | Sep 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

I am Toby Minters niece. I live in Bakersfield. I have a 6 year old grandson that sings your songs. His favorite is Daddy Frank. I have been a fan of yours for years. The Mathers family are my nephews (Mike Gregg) best friends. I love the history and memories you have made here in Bakersfield. Toby Minter played on the Cousin Herb show, the Blackboard, Barrel House and many other clubs here in Bakersfield. His banjo is hanging in Trouts. I was at his benifit at the Stallion Club in Oxnard, CA when you called to wish him well. Thank you for each and every thing you do.

• Sissy | Sep 11, 2011 at 10:17 am

Merle and Theresa Wishing y’all a very blessed and Happy 18th Anniversary!!
    Can’t wait for the new CD with all the family the free download was great ty.
    God Bless

• Mary | Sep 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Merle u are awesome!!!!!! My Daddy and I used to sit around on Friday and Saturday nights with my uncle and my cousin playing and singing your songs. What an awesome memory. My daddy was a huge fan of yours. We all luv u too. Can u tell me where to get your album called “The HAG”? I’ve been looking for it for years. Thank’s from a huge fan .

• PHYLLIS SPRADLEY | Sep 9, 2011 at 5:38 pm

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONGS IS SILVER WINGS BECAUSE THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT I WAS A YOUNG BRIDE OF A SERVICEMAN IN THE AIR FORCE . MY HUSBAND HAD JUST LEFT AT 6 IN THE MORNING TO FLY OVERSEAS AND THAT WAS THE SONG I HEARD ON THE RADIO LAYING IN MY BED AS HE WAS SOMEWHERE BOARDING A PLANE . THAT WAS 1966 . I FEEL YOUR HEART HAG. ANOTHER ONE IS IF WE MAKE IT THRU DECEMBER IT HAS GOT ME THRU A LOT OF HARD WINTERS

• The Uptown Theatre | Sep 9, 2011 at 12:28 pm

We are very excited and honored to have Merle Haggard performing in Napa Valley… We cannot wait to watch him entertain us with his amazing music on September 30th. See you then!

• JD Reynolds | Sep 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

I was raised listening to your songs, and I own some to this day. Today on Facebook I got a posting that made me think of you and one of your songs, Fighting Side Of Me. There is a Rap Singer called “Soulja Boy”. He currently has a song that bashes the U.S Army, the Military has banned the sale of it on bases. The reason I’m writing this is I hope you see this posting, and the next time you sing in public, you dedicate your song to him. That song will always be a Very Patriotic song to me, and I’d sure like Soulja Boy to know how he got the right to sing such garbage. Thank you.

• Jackie Wynn | Sep 7, 2011 at 7:55 am

My family has always been a Merle Haggard fan, but my dad was one of your biggest fans. His favorite song of your’s was “In My Next Life.” When I was a teenager I can remember listening to your 8-track, cassette and vinyl records (we had them all) with my dad. He taught me how to two-step listening to your songs. I can remember dancing in the living room with him. He had a poster of you on the bedroom wall of a George Dickey advertisement back from 1985. It was still taped to the wall when he passed away about 3 years ago. Since then, me and my husband and 2 daughters have taken over the farm. My youngest daughter carefully took down the poster and framed it and it is now in her bedroom. Everytime I see that framed poster it brings back memories of my dad, how much he loved country music, and how much he loved your songs.

• Judy Byrum | Sep 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

We were pretty poor but we had one album of yours that we listened to over and over. Hungry Eyes, Silver Wings, Mama Tried, Okie from Muskogee. Still know all the words. These songs remind me of my Mom because when they played (I was a teenager) I thought about the hard times that she had. Many years later, a stroke left her so disabled that she needs help with almost everything. Today, while watching a clip of you singing Mama Tried on YouTube, the tears just started flowing for my Mom. She never did quit having those hard times. She deserved so much more. Thank you for the wonderful music. I’m sure you can tell that I have been truly touched by your songs. You will always be in my heart.

• Robert Hamblin | Sep 4, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Mr. Haggard,

You are a legend. I am a life-long fan. Your music helped my family and I get through those hard times on my dad Okie’s Farm back in the 1960′s and 70′s in a small town in Michigan. My father and mother were originally from Hartshorne, Oklahoma, a small town near McAlester that is slowly dying due to the loss of the coal mining companies. I am a school teacher, and songwriter, due to your influence. I would love to play you one of my songs. I have no favorite Merle song; I love them all equally and at different times and moods, and I have learned to play so many for my own repertoire, and I sing them often. Come back to Detroit soon. Take care and God Bless You! Robert

• Kari McElrea | Sep 4, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I am a new Merle Haggard fan which is unbelievable because I’ve been a country fan for 30 yrs, I’ve heard his songs now and then but just recently with YouTube started to appreciate the true beauty of his vocal style. I now close my eyes and can pick out his approximate age at the time of each rendition. I can’t get enough. Please put more videos online for those of us who probably will never get to meet him and love him so much.
    Thanks Merle, keep on keeping on, One Day At A Time.
    Kari McElrea
    Chatham, Ontario Canada

• Melanie Sufficool | Sep 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

MERLE….PLEASE…PLEASE COME BACK TO MICHIGAN! MY HUSBAND & I ADORE YOUR MUSIC! IT’S KEPT US STRONG OUR 13 YRS OF MARRIAGE! WISHING U THE BEST! THANK U DEARLY!

• linda in texas | Sep 3, 2011 at 5:41 am

You are the man! Saw you in winnie tx and houston. It don’t get no better. That crap today ain’t even country music. You are what you are and haven’t changed. Any one that don’t like metal;can kiss my. ……. we love you! You have sung me through. Good and bad times thanks

• Anita Rowe | Sep 2, 2011 at 8:31 am

I have been a fan of Mr. Haggard since I was a little girl. When I want a song to represent how I feel about my country, I pull out “Fightin’ Side of Me”. When I need a feel-good song, it’s “Rainbow Stew”. And there are a host of others that I love just as much. But my all-time favorite Haggard song is “Leonard”. I haven’t seen it mentioned here, and that really surprises me. That has been my favorite since I was very young, although I didn’t understand it at the time. Can anyone tell me what the history is behind that song? I have heard many theories, but never anything official. I would love to know what prompted Mr. Haggard to write it. Thank you so much to anyone who has any info on this!

• Matt | Sep 6, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Anita,
      The song was written about Tommy Collins who was another Bakersfield country artist like Merle, Buck, Red Simpson. Hope this helps.

• Roger Tripp | Sep 10, 2011 at 9:48 am

Anita,

Merle wrote the song “Leonard” to pay tribute to his friend who we know as Tommy Collins, his real name was Leonard Sipes. He wrote some of the songs Merle’s recorded such as “Roots of My Rasing”. He was a big star, so big Elvis opened a show for him & the big star always comes on stage last. Before Merle was a star, Tommy came to his house & Merle’s ice box was empty, Tommy went & got some food to put in it. In the “Leonard” song there’s a line; “he even brought around a bag of groceries, long before “Muskogee” came along.
      Hope this little of info will help.

Roger Tripp – Chowchilla, CA

• Dan Boone | Sep 10, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Anita–Leonard was written for a song writer in Bakersfield, name Leonard Snipes. He later changed his name to Tommy Collins, and wrote many great songs. Hag and Collins were great friends. One of his songs was called The Roots of my raisin run deep, among others. Dan

• Keith Wiggans | Sep 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Merle;
    Long time fan, I play guitar myself, got a sweet D18V that likes your tunes too. I work in Ione right next to the old Preston School. I was pokin’ around there today and thought about you in your younger, wilder days. Don’t suppose you would consider dropping by to take a look at the old place some day if you’re in the area. I would love to hear some of the stories about old times. If you’re ever gonne be in the area again (I remember when you played up in Plymouth a few years ago) it would be cool if you wanted to take a look at the old place before it’s gone altogether. It’s empty now, and looks pretty sad, not like it did back when. Bring your guitar if you make the trip, I would love to jam with you (dreamin’ right). Anyway be cool, stay tuned, and keep on pickin’. KW

• Phil Smart | Aug 31, 2011 at 2:42 am

Hi Merle long time fan of yours was wondering if you are thinking of coming down to Australia or New Zealand at any stage in the near future

• cher | Sep 4, 2011 at 9:33 pm

wouldnt that be remarkable

merle on a world tour
      how about
      merle and kris
      london, scotland, PARIS, and SYDNEY
      Japan too on the way……

Every one of those places and more would go absolutely wild
      if Merle put them on his tour schedule.
      it would be priceless.

and i would be there.
      peace
      a real friend

• wayne lambert | Aug 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm

hey merle hope you are doing better now. looking forward to seeing you again in the midwest bud. take care of yourself

• barbare fuller | Aug 29, 2011 at 6:44 pm

SENT MY ORDER IN FOR WORKING IN TN.I KNOW IT WILL BE GREAT.WHAT WOULD I DO WITHOUT THE HAGS MUSIC?

• Corey | Aug 28, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Hey Merle I hope you do “Austin City limits for all of us this year, if not this year, then early next year, “theres not too many days left in this year, this year is almost gone, it’s winding down real quickly :o)

• MrNormsHGW | Aug 27, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Dagnab it! You were in town again in Feb and the place never sent me a notice. I never was in town when I was still OTR and now that I’m retired I still miss getting to a gig, hopefully I’ll make it next time.. Been listening to ya for goin’ on 45 or so years and my Pop saw ya at least 4 times so hopefully you’ll get booked back into the Mpls/St. Paul area soon. I have to say, Merle Haggard and Gordon Lightfoot are a couple reasons I learned to play guitar in the beginning some 40 odd years ago, thanks for a ton of songs and a ton more to come…..

• Tammy Johnson | Aug 26, 2011 at 11:53 am

Luv your music merle you got me thru good and bad times hope one day u come to morgantown wv.u can stay with us,luv your 1# fan tammy

• KITTY WELLS WOLL | Aug 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm

HELLO MERLE, I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOUR ALBUM OF “SWEET JESUS” SANG BY YOU, WILLY NELSON, AND SOMEONE ELSE.. I HAVE THE RINGTONE ON MY PHONE BUT WANT THE WHOLE SONG AND HAVENT FOUND IT..ANY SUGGESTINS? I LOVE YOUR MUSIC AND LISTEN TO YOU EVERY DAY.. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! HAVE MET YOU IN PERSON AND HAVE OUR PICTURE TOGETHER…WE MET AT THE HULMAN CENTER IN TERRE HAUTE, INDIANA.

• a friend | Sep 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

KITTY WELLS?
      wow.

It is a double cd
      Its called
      ” THE LAST OF THE BREED”
      easy enough to get online
      Merle wrote that song with Kenny Vernon.
      He used to open up for Merle.
      Not so very long ago,
      he says hes retired now.
      that’s too bad .

itis a beautiful song
      ” Jesus sweet Jesus, you love me just as I am.”
      and Merle does a beautiful talking part in it.
      I always love when he does that in a song.

very sweet indeed

PS that ” other guy? ” is a very big star as well.
      give ole RAY PRICE some props.

he is still out there on the road too.

jeepers

peace

anonymous friend

• Dr. Theresa Karam | Aug 25, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Hi Merle,

I love a lot of your songs and wanted to know when you will be at the Chrystal Palace.
    I belong to the “Reel Cowboys” here in the Valley….we all would like to come and see you. Some of the old timers live on budgets and cannot afford the Greek Theater. I sing with the Reel Cowboy, I love so many of your songs and sing them. I know, I am a girl….Silver Wings, I Started Loving you Again, Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Star. I am greatly looking forward to seeing you in person.

Your Cowgirl Fan. Dr. Theresa

• wayne howell | Aug 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm

hi merle wish you health an happyniess for a long time, been a fan of yours since 1974 when i stayed for both shows in thibouaex la you an marty robbins done a package show, you sign my t shirt an let me come up on stage before 2 am matniee show an meet you while you was doing a sound check thanks for the memories merle

• Laurie Curd | Aug 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm

We love them all but my favorite is Silver Wings ,Mama Tried and Daddy Frank,Kern River lol so hard to choose really

• Laurie Curd | Aug 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I have five grandchildren soon to be six and if possible they are bigger Merle Haggard fans then we are , they always wanna watch the videos and here him sing my youngest who is a 1 year old throws a fit if he cant watch it when he ask and always has to hear it to sleep all the kids cheer and bounce around and clap when their paw puts it in the dvd player and we get an hour or so of quiet sometimes longer if bedtime If you want your children to know real country music buy his cds and videos kids today will know you dont have to jump around and act a fool to play good music . and maybe next generation of singers will be like the old days when I was a child where you felt the song and heard the words and will make you smile or cry depending on the emotion the song is giving you , I for one appreciate the songs of real country music and love the singers who hold true to the way it was … WE LOVE YA MERLE…. keep the songs coming so long as you can ..God Bless to you and the Strangers ..

• Glen Barry | Aug 22, 2011 at 10:36 am

wishing you a speedy recovery…………we sure missed seeing you at Rama Casino this year………….anywhere in Ontario would be fine….all the best Merle & Theresa
    regards
    Glen & Donna Barry

• Robert (Bob) Holmes Jr. | Aug 21, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I grew up on Merle! I wouldn’t be the man I am today without him. My dad, Bob L Holmes was friend of Merle’s, so his music has a special place in my heart. I have never had the chance to see him play live, and pray the chance to hear him and talk with him about my dad. If you’re reading this, thanks Norm!

• Johnny Bond | Aug 20, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I’ve heard Don Maddox of the Maddox Brothers & Rose mention he is going to do a an album with Merle Haggard. Is this true? For 89 years old, Don is still FANTASTIC!

• Juli norris | Aug 19, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Merle is my hero.. I live in ft worth, tx and have seen him several times and I never go to concerts b/c i can’t stand smoke but i was overwhelmed when he came to the bass hall and saw him there twice. We were scheduled to see him at Billy Bobs last weekend and the show was canceleld. We hope all is well with Merle and jsut wanted to let him know we are thinking about him and think he is the best thing that has ever come into the country music industry. <3 you merle!

• Micheal Fischer | Aug 19, 2011 at 1:41 pm

i gota say youre one of the best country music singers out there and i agree with stardive you deserve a star in nashville

• Deborah Tackett | Aug 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm

I remember listening to your music as a kid , It would echo throughout my house while growing up here in the Appalachian Mountains of Kentucky . My mother was your number one fan , She bought all your 33 albums , She got to see you in concert once at the Mountain Arts Center, In Prestonsburg, Ky. a few years before her death , She said she got to go on your tour bus and talk to you that night and it was a very special moment in her life . She left us in August 19, 2008. I dedicated one of your songs, “The Way I Am” in Memory of her . Thank you for bringing my mother so much happiness in her living years . Thank you for being a legend in her time and in ours . God Bless you always .

• stardrive | Aug 18, 2011 at 7:50 am

Hi Merle & Theresa How you doing, Boy Im so looking forword to the new C.D. ( you have entertainted us for generations, you desurve a star in nashville, on the sidewalk
    only one huge to put not only your name but the intire bands to, sence they’ve entertained us for so many years to as well, and they desurve to have there names put there to as well, under your’s, INC Theresa’s :O)

• Christine Anderson | Aug 17, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Hello Merle
    My husband David & I adore your music and your honesty about life – we wish you, Teresa & the family only the very best always. You’ve got style Merle, even now, so keep it coming.

With Warm Regards