• Jason Caviness | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I am wondering why there was never a “Roots Vol. 2″ from Merle. Calling the album Volume 1, implied there would be a Vol. 2. I have been waiting almost 10 years ;-)

• everett ralston jr | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:52 pm

hi mr haggard, my name is everett and i grew up in lake Isabella, you talked to my dad on the CB radio in the early 70′s. his handle was “little bud” and my mom was “the red head”. i am sure you don’t remember them but we drove by your house every-time we went to Bakersfield. i was back by your old house and seen that they filled in the lake. i thought your place was grand. miss the kern river canyon. happy birthday..and congrads on your award tonite.

• Kimberly Reeves | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Hag,
    Happy Birthday! I wish you many more blessed days to come!
    You are my favorite music legend! When I was a small girl in 1972, I
    got my first record player for Xmas. Your record was the first played on my
    new record player. Thanks, for years of wonderful music!

Devoted Haggard Fan,
    Kim R. N.C.

• james oakley fleming | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:45 pm

Merle Haggard wishing u a happy birthday from Idaho you still rock ///

• Babs Benton | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm

Happy Birthday Merle. Blessings to you and your family.

• Rick Chase | Apr 6, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Dear Mr. Haggard,

Happy Birthday! I just watched the amazing tribute to you on the Country Music Awards.

My business partner, Marcus Haynes is a Boeing 767/757 Captain for a major US airline. He paid for his education in physics by playing guitar and singing country music.
    You have always been an inspiration to Marc. You remain his all time favorite. Marcus performing your songs is my favorite.

We look forward to meeting you at an upcoming performance.

We wish you joy and health in the coming year,

Rick Chase
    Marcus Haynes

• Rose Shebelski, Saskatoon, Sask. | Apr 6, 2014 at 8:10 pm

April 6, 2014.

Just saw you and Teresa on the Music Award Show, Congratulations on receiving the Award, you are more than deserving of the award. Today is your Birthday and I would like to wish you a Happy Birthday and many, many more Birthdays to come. Sorry to hear that you have been under the weather. I wish you and Teresa health and happiness in the years to come.

• Candace | Apr 6, 2014 at 7:59 pm

Happy Birthday! Looking Good Merle! HUGS!

• Edna Carr | Apr 6, 2014 at 6:48 pm

Happy 77th and hope for many,many more.

• Barbara Burns | Apr 6, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I went to see you in concert in Des Moines, Iowa oh so many years ago … it was the very best concert I ever attended :) … no jokes … no fog … no gimmicks … you sang … and sang … and sang … I love your singing and your songs! Happy Birthday!!!! Thank you for all the music and the wonderful memories over the years!!!

• Carol Boagey | Apr 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Merle, my sweet man that passed two years ago requested that Silver Wings be played at his memorial . That song and Long Black Veil were the last songs we danced to. I wish you could sing that song tonight on the awards. God bless.

• Sissy | Apr 6, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Wishing the Hag a very blessed and Happy Birthday ! From Bakersfield ,Ca

• Debbie B | Apr 6, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Happy, Happy Birthday Merle. Loved you since I was a kid am now in my 60′s but don’t feel old becasue of that your music will live forever. You truly are the common man.

• Christina Andrews | Apr 6, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Dear Merle, I want to wish you a very Happy Birthday! You are the greatest singer/song writer,etc. to me and my family. I have always looked forward to your concerts and having front row seats to see you. You are truly an icon and have touched the hearts and souls of many. You are so deserving of award you received at the CMA this evening! God Bless you and your family. Looking forward to seeing you at your next show in PA. Luv u Hag!

• Carolyn | Apr 6, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Happy Birthday Merle! Tell Fran hello from her cousin John’s son and daughter in law. John passed away in 1999, We are still here near Bakersfield. We’ve always been great fans of yours and saw you just before we married in 1968 in Santa Maria, CA My dad was a friend of Bonnie’s and she introduced you to him. I saw you again in Roseburg, Oregon and really enjoyed your show. Don’t remember the year now. I think it wasn’t long after you married Teresa. Just watched a show you did in Texas and was surprized it was done in 2004.
      You really sound good! Keep on singing.

• la shelton | Apr 7, 2014 at 9:28 am

Happy Birthday to you. My birthday is April 5 and I was born one day before you in 1937…..You are about the last great country singer left..You and ray price were always my favorites. love you..

• Kathy Evenson | Apr 6, 2014 at 4:50 pm

Dear Merle, Happy Birthday! Thank you for all the happy moments you have given me and the world with your beautiful songs and voice. Wishing you happy days and peaceful nights in the coming year. Sincerely, Kathy Evenson, a fan

• Robert wood | Apr 6, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Happy birthday Merle you don’t get older just better .i first saw you in Albany ga ,right after you recorded my farewell to Elvis .just saw you in jacksonville fla in February 2014 I met your band your wife and dogs .
    I really enjoyed talking with Benny and Scotty. Thanks for all the wonderfull music and thanks for your many sacrifices you’ve made to leave your family and go on tour to preform for your many fans.We all love you Merle ,and wish you many more birthdays

• Eugene Pierce | Apr 6, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Happy 77th Birthday Merle, from a faithful fan . From International Falls , Minnesota. You are my favorite ! Eugene

• Corey | Apr 6, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Congratulations on your Award, Merle, WOW What A Birthday Present “Milestone Award,
    that’s awesome

• mike morgan | Apr 6, 2014 at 11:38 am

happy birthday Merle…you’ve been a good troupadore.

• Lori Hays | Apr 6, 2014 at 10:45 am

We were at the Tulsa show. We were praying for you. So glad to hear that you are feelling better….Jesus Rox!!!! Looking forward to seeing you when it is rescheduled. Continued prayers♥

• sheila mellor | Apr 6, 2014 at 10:25 am

i just love your voice Merle, and listen to your tracks regularly. keep it up. sheila in the uk.

• Corey | Apr 6, 2014 at 9:05 am

Have a Wonderful and a very blessed Birthday Merle, God Bless :-)

• David C Phillips | Apr 6, 2014 at 6:49 am

Hi Merle, I just wanted to wish you a Great and Happy 77th Birthday. I can’t wait to see you again here in Louisiana.

• Janet Lea Cormney | Apr 6, 2014 at 6:38 am

‘Happy Birthday’ to the greatest Country Musice singer ever. I am so proud of the picture I had taken with you in November of 1973. I will treasure it always. Can’t wait to see you on the Country Music Awards show tonight.

• Susan Garner | Apr 6, 2014 at 5:38 am

Happy happy birthday and thank you for your wonderful gift you have given us of your music! I saw you the other night in. Stafford and you were wonderful! GOD’S blessings, to you and your family!!

• Inácio Palma | Apr 6, 2014 at 2:58 am

Congratulations! All good for you, well there. Thanks, for the wonderful moments provided by her songs. Thank you very much.

• edna edwards | Apr 6, 2014 at 2:23 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY N WISHING U MANY MANY MORE

• Michael Hogan | Apr 6, 2014 at 2:12 am

Hi,
    I just want to wish Merle a very happy Birthday today.
    I met him in Ireland many years ago and he was a perfect gentleman.
    Great great guy and It is great to see him being recognised for what he s to country music.
    God knows we need him more than ever now.
    Live long Merle and thanks for all the wonderful music.,
    Best,
    Michael Hogan
    Ireland

• Pauline A. Vega | Apr 6, 2014 at 12:28 am

Mr. Merle…happy belated birthday sir! I have loved your music for as long as I can remember. A native of Bakersfield…you are our “hero.” We’re all so prod of you and your entire family. Teresa, thank you for giving us the opportunity to comment and share. I took my daddy to Merle’s concert at the Fox last month and I so enjoyed your concert very much, as did daddy. He’s so proud of you! It was funny because, I had to get separate tickets, daddy sitting below and me on the balcony, but at the last minute we were accommodated to sit together in the last row which was great! My dad finally nudged me to take your picture. He said, go on up there in front and take Merle’s picture for me…if anyone can do it it’s you. I replied, daddy, I don’t want to walk in front of all these people!” He said, sure you can….do it for me! How could I not…he’s my dad! What I’m trying to say is, we had the best time listening to your music. It was the first time my father went out after my mother passed on in February. Thank you Mr. Hagggart for all that you do! You’ve made Bakersfield and country music proud! P.S. Would love to hear you and Mr. Johnny Rodriguez do a duet…now that would be AWESOME! How about you in English and JR in Spanish…it would work for ALL YOUR FANS & NEW ONES TO COME! Prayers and blessings.

• clee holland | Apr 5, 2014 at 9:50 am

when are you going to be back at hardrock in catoosa,okla.

• Sharon turnquist | Apr 5, 2014 at 7:20 am

WISHING YOU THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER, MERLE …..WILL BE WATCHING YOU ON YOUR SPECIAL DAY……! Luv ya

• David Depew | Apr 4, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Merle, my wife and I were having drinks at Escalente’s mexican restaurant down at Town Center in Sugarland Texas on 3/31/2014 when I spotted you and Theresa sitting inside. I knew it was you from the moment I saw you but didnt have the balls to walk up to you and ask. We went in to Em&Lee Willa Boutique to look at dresses for my wife and shortly after, Theresa walked in. Actually we just wanted to walk by you to get a better look and to see if I could here you talk. I told my wife that if I could just hear him talk, I would know if it was Merle Haggard for sure, but you didnt say anything. After seeing pictures of you and Theresa on the internet, I am convinced it was you. Also, you were playing at the Stafford Center on 4/1/2014. Now, I am kicking myself for not speaking to you and possibly getting an autograph from one of my all time legendary heros. We plan on seeing you in Angleton, TX on 10/11/2014. Tickets arent on sale yet, but I will be there for sure. I know that it was a once in a lifetime experience seeing you that day and I missed my chance to talk to you, but if it ever does happen again, I wont miss the opportunity. I do think though that you knew that I recognized you, but who knows….. your fan from Missouri City Texas.

• walt kugler | Apr 4, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Merle.in 93 I believe it was. Sherwood Cryer sold me two gyro rides the ones that were at the doors of Gilleys club.i worked them in corpus Christi .I worked them at your farewell tour .you were with david allen coe. At texas sky park.I was in the outfield with both rides.dont know if you remember that far back. Anyhow.before Gilley fucked Sherwood out of the club I almost had the pleasure of meeting you in person.Gene and Sherwood were gonna help me to do that.im in Pennsylvania now .dad died and staying with mom here till I think she’ll be ok.if you ever play around Philadelphia area .I would love to meet you in person. Thanks for making the music world a better place.if you ever talk with sherwood, gene and opel cryer.please tell them walt said hey. I miss them all .tks again merle .gods speed in heeling .

• Ruby Johnson | Apr 4, 2014 at 12:58 pm

Hi Merle will be watccrhing you on the award show Sunday my birthday is Saturday 1 day before befor yours
    Love Ruby

• RockyMountainRose | Apr 4, 2014 at 10:14 am

So sorry to hear you aren’t feeling well. Please take the time to rest. We will be waiting for your return to sing us a sad song. Sending you prayers and much love.

• Felton Rhodes | Apr 4, 2014 at 7:42 am

I attended the concert at Robinson Auditorium in Little Rock, AR on April 2, 2014. I was very disappointed in the opening act and Merle’s performance. I own more of Merle’s music than any other artist in the world and “Misery and Gin” is my favorite song. I left the concert after the fifth song of the concert. It will be hard for me to ever attend another live concert. I’ll just enjoy my CD’s.

• CAROL TURBITT | Apr 4, 2014 at 5:52 am

HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY ……WE SHARE THE SAME BIRTHDAY APRIL 6TH

• Marty Box | Apr 3, 2014 at 11:29 pm

Merle , Me and you have spent many hours and many days together. I was in Branson and you signed my pic of you and the strangers . Bonnie was there too in1992. My wife once handed Norm a huge watermelon back when he drove the bus. That was in Fairfield Iowa several years ago. I share the name of a son of yours ! marty I have been to dozens of your shows and it was always a great time. Most recently in ICedar rapids Iowa and also surf ballroom in Iowa and Peoria Il Thanks For Sharing all your songs over the years. I am so glad that I got to meet you back in 1992. It was my 10 th anniversary and you sang Rambling Fever for me that nite at Willies ( at the time ) You got married soon after that and we also share the same Anniversary. So I think of you guys and that makes that day different for us both .god Bless you and Teresa and all the band and road crew . Amen

• Farrel Duncan | Apr 3, 2014 at 8:27 pm

Just got home from Tulsa, so sorry the show had to be canceled. Praying for your recovery and hope to see you in Tulsa again soon.

• Robert Walker | Apr 3, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Sorry to report that Merle was sick and had to cancel the concert in Tulsa, OK at the Hard Rock Casino (The Joint)
    Wishing him well and his family also. It was announced that the show would be rescheduled at a later date.

• Jim O'Neill | Apr 2, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Saw the show in Stafford, TX last night and all I can say is THANK YOU!! ! Brought back so many memoriies of my father who also loved your music. The entire band was awesome and just bought the Triibue on iTunes. Ben does a great versionof Mama Tried. Looking forward to seeing you again on the next swing through Texas!

• Beth Brown | Apr 2, 2014 at 5:00 pm

G’day Merle and family from Australia, I have been a fan of your music and lyrics since year dot…..haaa I would love to see you do a trip to Australia for some concerts… I know you would have packed houses as I am a DJ with open lines for requests and you and our Slim Dusty would be the most asked for. I know I am a couple days early but want to wish you a very Happy Birthday on the 6th and may you have lots of family and friends to share it with. Sir thank you for giving me the incentive to do radio work so that we keep yours and many other great artists alive in this ever changing country music. Cheers and Blessings to you and family,

• roland wade | Apr 2, 2014 at 3:14 pm

last talked to you at the nugget in sparks, nev. mcalester, ok. time before that —– hag when you,re back in area of home give a “e” back. always like a bro. sure miss bonnie’s back up always me and and lois stay safe , well , and out of harms way.

• Helga Geier | Apr 6, 2014 at 4:23 am

Happy Birthday Mr. Haggard, I love your Music.

Wish you all the best…..greetings from Germany. Im a big fan of you and your music.

Have a nice day !

• Billy Roberts | Apr 6, 2014 at 7:33 am

Just want to wish you a happy birthday Merle, and thank you again for all the great music.

• Kathryn Polhamus | Apr 2, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Hi Merle, I have a tremendous amount of respect for you! I think that what you have given to this world is so special and will of course live on forever. I will be attending your concert in Laughlin, NV on June 7 and truly look forward to it. Take care and be well. Hugs, Kathryn

• Corey | Apr 1, 2014 at 11:20 am

Have A Wonderful and Blessed Birthday Merle,

• Jack Ellis | Apr 1, 2014 at 5:48 am

Mr. Haggard,

My wife and I attended your concert at Southern Junction in Rockwall, Texas recently, and I have to tell you we were blown away. Its so refreshing to hear a performer that still sounds as good as he did 40 years ago. I can only hope I have the energy you have when I hit 77.

Keep on playin! Loved the show.

Jack & KK Ellis

• frances | Mar 31, 2014 at 8:48 am

hey mr. haggard – you probably don’t have aclue who i am – but i’ll tell you anyway !!@@ i was dean harringtons secretary back in the day – 1970′s to be exact – met you many times at harrahs in tahoe and other places you were appearing before i dropped off the radar and met my dream man and ran off to germany !!!
    he passed away, as did old deano, and i am now living alone and for the last 18 years have been living in nashville INDIANA— my son works at the Bill monroe music park here, and ronnie reno is a regular here in june and september every year – i always think of you and the good times with dean and stu and ronnie those many years ago – i am termanilly ill and don’t expect to make the shows this year – but then, i never did like bluegrass anyway —just wanted to say hello – and wish you may many more years of singing your heart out – Lou – The Secretary ;;;;;;;;;

• RockyMountainRose | Apr 4, 2014 at 11:30 am

Frances, I don’t know you but your comments touched my heart. Sounds like great memories to cherish. You must have some great stories. May the angels and God be with you.

• Robin Locklear | Mar 30, 2014 at 11:14 pm

I just saw you in concert in Corpus Christi, TX. I grew up on your music, my Dad was a long distance truck driver (I lost him 17 years ago) he would take me along sometimes and we would listen to your music for hours. As I grew older I realized just how much his and my Mom’s music choice (I lost her 24 years ago) played a part in my music choice I rarely listen to anything but country. Tonight as you were singing on stage I could close my eyes and hear my parents singing along with you as they did all those years ago, thanks for a great night of entertainment.

It was special in more ways than I can express.

A grateful fan
    Robin

• wes | Mar 27, 2014 at 6:05 pm

Mr. Haggard,

I’m a big fan of your music. I’m a Platoon Leader here at Fort Irwin, CA. if you ever want to come meet some of the guys and tour the post we would love to have you. Thanks for all the great music and staying true to your beliefs.

-Wes

• L. Coty | Mar 26, 2014 at 8:04 pm

My brother in law and I grew up as friends and we always call you UNCLE MERLE. We are only months apart in age. We both have every recording you ever made. I was watching a movie called “THE LONE RANGER’. I was surprised to hear the opening song and recognized the singer. The Man Behind The Mask, sung by MERLE HAGGARD flashed across the screen. I looked all over for the song on tape, record, or cd and it is not around. I did the next best thing and recorded it from the TV. It is so nice to hear new singers say they style themselves after their favorite singer, song writer, MERLE HAGGARD. I bet it makes you happy to hear that. I was watching the Garth Brooks concert on TV and he said you inspired him. I was so proud my UNCLE MERLE inspires others to sing their hearts out for us. I for one want to give my sincere thanks for all you do to bring joy and happiness to us and for inspiring others to being a singer. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER UNCLE MERLE. WE ALL LOVE YOU….

• Richard W. Rivas Jr. | Mar 26, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Hi Merle. I just got to say, I love your music, and I’ve been a life-long fan. My mother was a flower-child of the 60′s and 70′s, my father was a Grateful Dead-devout Hippie, and both of them introduced me to a whole line of Country, Folk, and Classic Rock music when I was a child. And your albums “Sing Me Back Home” and “Country Pride” were the first two albums that I ever heard of your work. I remember listening to the record when I was about 7 or 8, being played on an old Sony Stand Stereo with two tower speakers and a record player on top. I listened to your work for hours! And as a child with a hearing disability (I wear hearing aids today), you brought great peace, comfort, and tranquility to a child who had a very hard time hearing anything at all. Your low but gentle and deep voice was, truly, music to my ears.

Unfortunately, I’ve never had the honor and privilege of seeing you play in person. I hope that changes one day. I’m 30 years old now, and I still love your work. I live near Portland, Oregon, and that city has a great musical heritage. Perhaps you should consider coming up here for a concert? Take solace in knowing that I’ll be the first in line to buy a ticket of yours.

Thank you for your tireless efforts towards music. We love you always. Never stop playing.

• Tina Hartmann | Mar 24, 2014 at 7:34 pm

My little brother Kyle,comes back from Afghanistan Thursday and we are surprising him by taking him to your show at whitewater amphitheater on Saturday . He’s been a fan of yours since a little boy and has taken your music all around the world including 4 tours of duty as a little slice of home. We look forward to seeing you.